For many women, hopping out of bed and looking into the mirror is not always a pleasant sight. Those under eye dark circles and puffiness are always there to greet you irrespective of the fact that you didn’t sleep late or that you slept well for the entire 8-10 hours. It leaves you looking tired and that is what you loathe the most. How can you get rid of this pesky problem?
What most of us don’t realize is that the problem of dark circles goes skin deep. There are different reasons why they occur. It could be:
- An allergic reaction
- A symptom of a kidney infection
- Premenstrual syndrome symptom
- Genetic predisposition
- Nasal Congestion
- Lack of sound sleep
- Iron deficiency
- Enlarged blood vessels in the under eye region; they lighten later in the day.
15 Steps to Get Rid of Dark Circles and Under Eye Puffiness
- If you notice dark circles on days leading up to your period, it is likely due to water retention in the body. You can have natural diuretics green tea. Cut back on high sodium and high carb foods for a few days.
- If dark circles are a hereditary problem, unfortunately there is nothing much you can do. Using concealer skillfully can help you cover up.
- Use two pillows when sleeping. It keeps the head in an elevated position and prevents the blood vessels from constricting.
- Women who suffer dark circles because of enlarged blood vessels should apply a cold compress as soon as they wake up in the morning. Wrap a few ice cubes in a washcloth and apply it to the area. The cold spoon method is another popular home remedy for dark circles. Put two spoons in the freezer the previous night. Gently press them over your eyes in the morning for around 5 minutes. The puffiness will subside.
- Eating healthy is important because it is the main source of nourishment for the skin. The healthier the skin, the fewer instances of saggy and droopy eyes you will suffer. Eat foods rich in iron, folic acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E and Vitamin K.
- You should sleep minimum 7-8 hours a day. However, the quality of sleep is also equally important; it should be undisturbed. Take a warm bath or drink a warm glass of milk before bed. It helps you sleep well.
- Apply cool cucumber slices to your eyes. It not only helps get rid of under eye circles but also soothes the eyes. Hence, it is a great remedy if you have spent countless hours in front of your computer screen.
- You can also apply a cotton ball dipped in potato juice all across the area under the eyes.
- The tea bag method can also help you get rid of dark circles and under eye puffiness almost immediately. Place cool, used tea bags on your eyes. It cools stressed eyes.
- Drink lots of water. It is good for the health of your skin. Besides, dehydrated skin looks pale and causes the blood vessels to become dilated making dark circles worse.
- Avoid smoking and drinking. The nicotine present in cigarettes affects blood circulation. It also constricts the blood vessels and causes premature aging of skin. Hence, cutting back on these bad habits or better avoiding them will help your problem of dark circles.
- Apply sunscreen whenever you go out. The skin in the under eye region is very sensitive and easily damaged by the ultra violet rays of the sun. Also, make sure you wear protective sunglasses.
- Gently massage the areas around your eyes with light fluttery movements. It improves blood circulation and gets rid of dark circles causes by constricted blood vessels.
- Staring continuously at a computer screen can also make your dark circles worse. Make sure there is a distance of at least 20 inches between your eyes and the computer screen. Take breaks in between to look away from the computer screen.
- Finally, apply a soothing eye cream. They firm the skin under the eyes and prevent signs of aging such as puffiness, sagging and wrinkles. They also contain ingredients that helps lighten dark circles.